Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Knee Replacement Surgery

MY girlfriends nephew is going in for knee replacement surgery today. That wouldn't be so bad except its just too dang early.

I'll be back to post more on this later.

Be back soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the Nephew come thru surgery OK and is recovering nicely. We were a little freaked out when we first walked into his room. He was in pain which we expected but is knee and leg was soaked in blood that had seeped thru the bandages. I went to the nurses station and asked told them about it but they assured me that was normal.

When I told my girlfriend she got up and walked down there. The nurse said she was on her way in and would take care of it but it was normal. After the nursed came in she admitted that it was a little more bleeding then she expected and was a little concerned. Still insisted however it was normal and wasn't anything to worry about.

I jumped ahead of the story a little by telling you the ending first so let me back up a little here...

The Nephew was suppose to be at the hospital by 7 a.m. with surgery scheduled for 9 a.m.. They finally took him back to the pre-op room around 9:45 a.m. and he was suppose to be in recovery within 90 minutes. Everything ran late by about 90 minutes which made for an even longer day.

After many hours of sitting and waiting for word about the surgery we finally heard from the doctor. He said that in all his years as a doctor he has never seen arthritis. He was also surprised that the nephew was able to handle that amount of pain because of the severity of his knee.

After the doctor we spent another 90 minutes waiting for word about the nephew being moved into a room. That ticked us off. Like my girlfriend said it wasn't like they didn't know he was going to be there or that he came in thru the emergency room excepted. They knew for a week about that surgery and a room should have been ready in advance.

I could talk about my option of hospitals with all the things I've seen or experienced as a patient but I won't bore you right now with that. I'll close this post by saying that all seems well, I'm tired and cranky and I'm sure I hear my bed calling me. That might be a bill collector calling but either way I fall over dead for some good sleep right now.

3 comments:

  1. Nephew is doing quite well actually. He's even talking about getting back off disability and returning to work. That was his plans from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really great. At least he has a really positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete