Monday, January 10, 2011

Facebook and other Internet Demons

Like so many others I have become addicted to Facebook. I never planned on ever using Facebook and had no intentions of ever making it one of the first places I go everyday but I have.

I used to visit Pogo.com regularly and even paid for the Club Pogo membership for years. Once that price reached $40 a year I started wondering if it was still worth the cost. The games are fun and many people I've met that are pretty cool to hang out with while playing games. I like the chat box most of all because it meant I didn't feel I was alone online.

Facebook seems to have a chat box but its has limits and understandably so since Facebook is about friends on your list. Facebook is for the most part not 100% a "social networking site". Facebook is actually much more then that.

Most people using Facebook will post on the Walls various comments, thought and other things daily but a great deal of time is spent playing many of the games there. Farmville, Frontierville, and Cityville are three of the popular ones. I'm sure I've left out some that are even more popular.

I can't say I completely like Facebook and I won't go as far as saying I've fallen in love with it but I do go there daily. Most of the time you can find me playing poker or working on one of the games mentioned above.

I've admitted to being or growing addicted to Facebook but I have to wonder what is the actual appeal to Facebook over other sites both past and present? There are Forums, blogs and game sites that have some better features then Facebook just not as many in one place. There have been many sites over the years that tried to do what Facebook seems to have created a niche for. But why are we so addicted to Facebook?

Maybe the better question would be to ask why have we all become so addicted to the Internet? That is a question I will save for my next post, right now my pigs, cow, ox and other animals need fed and my land needs re-cleared on the Frontier. Have game with travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment