Friday, February 18, 2011

How young is too young to take to a funeral?

Company just left the house and the conversation had touched on the funeral I recently attended. There seems to be a little bit of a mix opinion concerning how young is too young to be taking a child to a funeral.

Crystal is a young mother of three kids under the age of four. She stated that she wouldn't take her children to a funeral unless the person who died was their dad or grandfather, etc. She never clarified exactly how old they would have to be not to be concerned which lead to this post.

How young is too young for a funeral?

I've seen children of all ages at some of the funerals. What is your input on this?

2 comments:

  1. I insisted on going to my grandmother's funeral when I was 4. I knew what dead was, and I wanted to see her. She lived with us (well, we lived with her) until her death. I was there when she fell and broke her hip. I was there when they moved her bed downstairs. I was there the day she died, and I put up a real fuss when they thought I was too young to go to the funeral. Needless to say, I got to go. It was important for me to be able to see her and say goodbye. I remember it all, and it was a good thing.

    Of course, I suppose some kids might not feel the same way, and some parents might handle it poorly.

    ReplyDelete